LONDON: Queen Elizabeth II’s second son, Prince Andrew, has disabled his social media accounts, users said on Wednesday, as he faces a US civil case for sexual assault.
Andrew @TheDukeOfYork’s official Twitter account now opens with a message saying “This account does not exist”. His YouTube account also shows an error message and a photo of a monkey.
The prince’s Instagram and Facebook pages still appeared to be open, although the Instagram was turned private. The Daily Mail quoted a source close to the 61-year-old prince as saying those accounts have also been deleted and are no longer online.
It comes after the announcement last week that the prince has stopped using his HRH, or His Royal Highness, title and has also given up honorary military titles bestowed by the Queen. The move effectively removes him from official royal life.
His accuser Virginia Giuffre said she had sex with the prince when she was 17 after meeting him through late US financier and convicted pedophile Jeffrey Epstein. The prince denies the allegations but lost an attempt to dismiss the civil suit. Andrew stepped down from public life as a royal in 2019 after a widely ridiculed BBC interview where he sought to clear himself of the accusation of sexually assaulting a minor.