About Gray Television:
Gray Television is a leading media company that owns and operates high-quality stations in 113 television markets that collectively reach 36% of US television households.
We constantly strive for excellence. Through upgrading to the latest technology and finding new ways to stay on top of our markets, we are focused on training and developing the best and brightest employees in the business.
WDBJ7, WZBJ and WDBJ7.com are a mainstream CBS-affiliated media powerhouse owned by Gray in beautiful Roanoke, Virginia. Known as “Your Hometown Station®”, WDBJ7 and WZBJ serve 26 counties in the Blue Ridge Mountain region and produce more than 55 hours of award-winning local news coverage, more than any of its competitors on the Roanoke/Lynchburg market.
Based in a state-of-the-art digital broadcast center in Roanoke, Virginia, the station also operates Virginia bureaus in Lynchburg, Blacksburg, Lexington and Danville. For more than 63 years, WDBJ7 has been the number one station of choice for viewers from Roanoke to Lynchburg and across the New River Valley.
The No. 1 dominant station in the nation’s 67th largest market is looking for a journalist to work as MMJ. We are looking for someone with a conversational delivery who can write, film, edit and present compelling stories live. The ability to come up with interesting story ideas every day is an absolute MUST for this position. Creativity, a strong work ethic and a passion for journalism are essential for this position. If you have a strong desire not only to tell amazing stories, but also to grow as a journalist and learn from your colleagues, WDBJ7 might be the place for you. At least two years of experience working in a television newsroom is preferred.
Duties/Responsibilities will include (but not be limited to) the following:
– Arrive on time for the editorial meeting at the start of your shift with at least two story ideas that could be produced for the day’s newsletters
– Must help with the overall content of news reports. Should bring innovative story ideas to editorial meetings and contribute to the overall purpose and direction of the station. Willing to report stories from the field as directed
– Must be willing to work flexible hours and possess the ability to work well with colleagues
– Performs other duties assigned to the General Assignment Reporter
– Develops, researches, writes, reports and edits stories of interest
– When assigned a laptop, write and post a web story in the car on the way back to the station
– Modify packages using the Edius system
– Follow dress and appearance guidelines
– Ability to generate investigative stories using sources to dig deeper
– Responsible for working with producers to ensure story accuracy and to determine the best reporting format.
– Able to undertake exclusive stories of interest and importance to local viewers and achieve overall station objectives.
– Realize creative and explanatory live shots and stand-ups.
– Writes and publishes stories on the website before the TV version airs
– Work mornings, evenings, weekends and holidays as needed
– Performs other ancillary and related duties as needed and assigned
– Research, gather, write and report news stories for the airwaves and online in the most accurate, engaging, timely and creative manner using all sources
– Report “live” on the spot, especially during the latest news
– Conducting interviews in the field and on set
– Develop and maintain sources of information and knowledge on the missions
– Demonstrate good judgment on news, collaborate with others to present the story in the best way
– Research-focused corporate news packages on tight deadlines
– Participate in the story selection process through meetings, regularly contribute story ideas
– Attending/hosting/speaking at community services, schools and community events; meet and greet viewers
– Regularly post and update stories and other material on the web, often remotely while on the go
– Must update social media sites including Facebook daily to report stories and interact with viewers
– Possess a broad and working knowledge of the viewing area, including people, places, things and history
– Enter CG text and times in newsroom software 30 minutes before newscasts
– Use knowledge of proper lighting to enhance overall news presentation
– Present television reports in an alternative way at least twice a week (presentation not included in the package)
– Produce daily a reporter file and a contribution vo/sot/vo or other on a different story
– Critique, feedback and training are part of the job
– Communicate with web staff and other appropriate staff during breaking news
– Follow dress and appearance guidelines
– Must be a visual storyteller; perform creative stand-ups and explanatory shorts live
– Perform other job related duties as assigned
– At least two years of television reporting is preferable
– Experience with ENPS newsroom software and/or Grass Valley non-linear editing an asset
– Experience in web writing, social media posts are required
– Excellent broadcast writing experience is a must
– Experience with digital cameras
– Editorial leadership skills an asset
– Have experience with many platforms, including web, mobile and social networks
– Must possess a strong understanding of daily newscast content and work collaboratively with producers to develop a dynamic product
– Strong initiative, attention to detail and advanced ethical decision-making skills required
– Must have excellent interviewing and conversational writing skills
– Excellent live reporting skills and strong on-camera presentation skills required
– Basic computer skills, including newsroom software (such as ENPS or I-News), Microsoft applications and internet use
– Ability to shoot and edit videos with digital cameras
– Able to produce and publish content on our websites
– Intermediate knowledge of social media – Must be able to work independently with limited supervision
– Work well in a team environment
– Ability to meet tight deadlines and well under pressure
– Strong initiative and attention to detail is required
– Demonstrate sound news judgment and journalistic ethics
– Maintain professional and ethical conduct at the station and in the community
– Ability to maintain a positive work atmosphere by behaving in a manner that will work well with co-workers, supervisors and viewers
– Strong research skills, including the ability to navigate online search engines
– Must keep up to date with national and local news and weather
– Ability to undertake local news stories
– Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field required
– Must have a valid driver’s license and be insurable
Qualified and interested candidates can apply here.
Gray Television provides equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics . In addition to the requirements of federal law, Gray Television complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in all locations where the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruitment, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leave, compensation and training . Gray Television expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, information genetics, disability or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Gray employees to perform their duties may result in disciplinary action up to and including dismissal.
As a condition of employment, Gray Television will require newly hired employees to be part-time or full-timebe fully vaccinated against the coronavirus on the first business day to the extent permitted by applicable law, unless you qualify for a medical or religious accommodation.
Copyright 2022 WDBJ. All rights reserved.