Location: Santa Cruz, California
Lookout is looking for a multimedia correspondent who is passionate about digital journalism, using his skills and experience to help take Lookout’s presentation beyond static words and images.
We are looking for journalists who are excited to be part of a new model of community-centric, mobile-first, knowledgeable, and intensely local journalism in Santa Cruz County. Lookout journalists are the prominent public face of Lookout in all of the diverse communities we serve.
The multimedia correspondent will help illustrate, design and explain both simple and complex stories, using the full power of the digital medium. We need a strong and versatile photographic capacity. As Lookout approaches its second year, we are now moving to integrating all forms of story – using audio, video, maps, data, animations and interactive elements to bring our work.
Lookout firmly believes that only certain stories require the traditional narrative treatment of “stories”, especially in the digital age. The vast majority of stories are more consumable – especially on mobile, where Lookout gets 70% of its traffic – in other forms such as:
- Explanations: Here’s what you need to know about X and why.
- Q&A: This person’s voice is important enough to stand on its own.
- Lookout Update: Briefing notes that help audiences discover the most important and relevant points in developing news
- Infographic-based stories: Build a narrative around key data points that stand out.
- Ask Lookout: People are buzzing about something; we unearth a truth for them.
We are looking for a multimedia correspondent who brings a creative approach to packaging stories. This means bringing together the right photos, all possible datasets through Infogram and other visualization tools, and – where applicable – the video, audio and graphics that make these story packages unique and impactful.
Although this is a visuals-focused position within the newsroom team, the ideal candidate will have strong news writing skills similar to – or better than – those of multimedia journalists at success in television newsrooms.
The successful candidate will be both organized and adaptable, working with other correspondents and editors to create visuals that make our website, newsletters and social media shine. We’re also looking for someone who doesn’t wait for assignments, but creates work and comes up with ideas – from data visualizations to photo story concepts to potential animations – on their own initiative.
If this sounds like you, send a resume and cover letter to [email protected] that addresses the following points:
- Your philosophy of news visuals.
- Your background in photography, photo editing, digital design and multimedia journalism production.
- Your knowledge of the Santa Cruz area or, if not local, how you would educate yourself.
Experience & skills:
- Judgment, intuition and taste for journalism foolproof.
- A minimum of two years of professional experience (post-graduate).
- Experience and comfort with the pace of digital journalism and the digital technologies that power it.
- Ability to engage diverse local communities in Lookout’s work.
- Demonstrated adaptability, especially with new thematic coverage areas and new communities.
- Ability to learn new technologies and experience in producing and editing multimedia stories in content management systems.
- Comfortable with Lookout’s pen pal oriented template format and the personality it brings to the job.
- Desire to work in a fast growing entrepreneurial environment, embracing the agility and flexibility to thrive in a new business.
- Bilingualism is a plus.
- Data communication skills are a plus.
- Audio/video experience in the field is a plus.
- Graphic design/animation experience is a plus.
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud, Infogram, Canva, Datawrapper and similar software is a plus.
Advantages and application
the Multimedia correspondent is a full-time employee of Lookout Local, and the position is located in downtown Santa Cruz. We offer competitive employee benefits. Lookout Local is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
As we regularly interact with the public, a COVID-19 vaccination is required for employment in the absence of documented disability or religious reasons.